March 05, 2009

A Good Days Work

My mother is in London for a few days (straight after a week in Malta - what a jetset life!) and we had a good first day of exhibitions, walking and pottering around shops. First up, we headed for the V&A to see 'Hats: An Anthology by Stephen Jones'. And what a wonderful exhibition it is! I am infatuated with a lot of things but hats are definitely up there in the top ten of things-to-obsess-over. There were some crazy creations among the displays; molten plastic, huge clouds of feathers, elaborate felt constructions...it certainly inspired me to be more daring with my own hat purchases. As Stephen Jones so perfectly puts: '...It's the cherry on the cake, the dot on the 'i', the exclamation mark, the fashion focus...' With all the gorgeous hats still buzzing in my head, we wandered past Harrods and on through Hyde Park. A rather stiff breeze made us eager to find a warm spot for lunch and after drifting past the luxurious shops and homes of Mayfair, Mom and I ended up at Alan Yau's Yauatcha in Soho. We feasted on delicious, delectable dim sum and sipped fragrant Taiwan Blue Tea before picking out two eadible treasures from the patisserie counter. The sales girl wrapped it all up in this beautiful box, which made me very happy indeed. It is the little touches that make my heart leap! And off we wandered again, past fruit stalls and fabric stores (where I got slightly side-tracked by the most stunning pale pink pearl embroidered silk), picking up Country Life magazine for my Dad and finally ending the day with: a hat! A five pound beauty from a charity shop. Perfect. A good days work, wouldn't you say?

2 Comments:

At 3/06/2009 03:53:00 AM , Blogger Molly said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! Beautiful hat! And I LOVE your mirror.

 
At 3/10/2009 05:48:00 PM , Blogger Rebecca said...

The mirror is actually from IKEA and was a bit of a bargain as well!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home