May 30, 2009

Bookish Pleasures

My beloved is away for two months and to chase away thoughts of loneliness, I headed to one of my favourite while-away-the-hours spot: Cecil Court. This street in WC2 is a treasure trove for lovers of antique books and prints. I spent a happy hour browsing the wares at Marchpane and Storey's Ltd, barely managing to keep my purse shut.
Among the many gems that stood out was a beautiful edition of Friedrich de la Motte Fouqué's Undine, breathtakinly illustrated by Arthur Rackham. Oh, I had a serious attack of The Want but, alas, it was priced at £1000 and therefore not within my monthly budget...
And now I am back home, missing my deary and day dreaming of unlimited book funds.

Soon she was lost to sight in the Danube

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home